Myanmar Surgical Society
- In postwar era, Surgical association was first founded separately from Myanmar Medical Association.
- Since 1965 when the Myanmar Medical Association was reformed, the surgical association was incorporated as the Surgical Section, under Myanmar Medical Association.
- Since 2000, the term “Surgical Section” was changed to the term Surgical Society.
- According to the constitution of Myanmar Medical Association “Seminars and Conferences are required to be held accordingly”, the Surgical Society has been hosting to hold the Monthly Clinical Meetings, Refresher Courses, and Basic and advanced surgical skill courses.
- Moreover, Surgical Society is also participating in routine medical tours to rural area, and complementing the symposium and conferences.
- The first conference was held in May 1973.
- The second conference was held in October 1974.
- Third Conference was held in October 1976.
- In 1978, the 4th Surgeons’ Conference was held in Taunggyi.
- Since then, the Surgical Society Conference was held once every 2 years and 22nd Biennial Surgeons’ Conference was held in 2018.
Aims of surgeons’ conferences
- The aims of our surgeons’ conferences are :
- To Continue Medical Education
- To promote research
- For Social gathering
Developments of Departments
- The foundations of
- Cardiovascular Surgical Department, Neurosurgical Department, Plastic and Maxillofacial Department in Mandalay General Hospital
- Paediatric Surgical Department in Mandalay Children Hospital
- Laparoscopic Surgery was introduced in 1996
Endoscopic Surgical Units
- Endoscopic Surgical Units were established in
- Yangon and Mandalay General Hospital,
- Mingaladon Military Hospital and
- in Pyin Oo Lwin military Hospital.
Myanmar Journal of Surgery
- Myanmar Journal of Surgery has been published twice a year.
- MRCS Part I and II exams from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh are in Myanmar.
Surgical Skill Courses
- Surgical skill laboratory and animal laboratory had been setup in Medical Universities for the improvement and training of Surgical Skill of the trainees.
- Basic Surgical Skill Course arranged by Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh was first conducted in 2002, May.
- Basic Surgical Skill Courses for assistant surgeons and house officers in district hospitals have been running once a year.
Past presidents of Surgical Society Myanmar
- Professor U Ba Than
- Professor U Kyi Paw
- Professor U Kyaw Maung
- Professor U Khin Mg Gyi
- Professor U Thein Nyunt
- Professor U Mya Thaung
- Professor U Aung Kyaw
- Professor U Ye Myint ( Cardiac ) ( 1992 – 1994 )
- Professor U Ye Myint ( General ) ( 1994 – 1996 )
- Professor Maung Maung Kyaw ( 1996 – 1998 )
- Professor U Maung Maung ( 1998 – 2000 )
- Professor U Norman Hla ( 2000 – 2002 )
- Professor U Kyi Soe ( 2002 – 2004 )
- Professor U Khin Mg Aye ( Cardiac ) ( 2004 – 2006 )
- Professor U Than Aye ( Uro ) ( 2006 – 2008 )
- Professor U Han Win ( 2008 – 2010 )
- Professor U Htun Oo ( 2010 – 2012 )
- Professor U Htun Oo ( 2012 – 2014 )
- Professor U Shein Myint ( 2014 – 2016 )
- Professor U Aye Mon ( 2016 – 2018 )
- 200 members
Current President and Committees
- Current president
- Prof. U Shein Myint (UMM)
- Vice presidents
- Prof. Moe Moe Tin (UM2)
- Prof. U Moe Myint (UMMG)
- Col U Khin Aung Tun (DSMA)
- Prof. Tin Kyu (UMTG)
- Secretary general
- Prof. U Tun Tun Oo (UMM)
- Joint secretaries
- AP U Htun Thuya (UM1)
- LCS Dr. Kyaw Soe (UMM)
- Academic secretary
- Prof. U Kyaw Naing (UMM)
- Joint academic secretary
- AP U Kyaw Khaing Oo (UMM)
- AP U Than Min Htut (UMMG)
- AP U Nay Aung Tun (UM2)
- Prof. Thida Oung (UM2)
- Prof. Tin May Saw (UMM)
- Joint treasurer
- AP Shwe Zin Myint (UM2)
- To produce safe surgeons, systematic training for
- Post-graduate students
- Under-graduate students
- Medical doctors
- To Improve surgical skills and up-to-date knowledge
- Hosting international and local conferences, workshops & symposiums
- CME programmes
- Participating in medical care of rural people
- Medical touring